Re: Does Emacs wm-window handling misbehave?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Does Emacs wm-window handling misbehave?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:53:16 +0100

>  Do you have click-to-focus?

I can focus/select and raise wm-windows by clicking them if that is
what you ask.

This is strange, because Emacs only sends
>  _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW when x-focus-frame is called.
>  We did have an issue with timestamps, but that should have been fixed some
>  time ago.

> Can you explicitly call x-focus-frame and at the same time do a
>  tail -f on .xsession-errors and see if the above message comes up?

Interesting. After I have evaluated the following expression in Emacs
I get the problem right away:

  (x-focus-frame (selected-frame))

I need to minimize Emacs using M-z or click some other windows to get
it to behave normally again.

That call itself does not generate any new messages in
.xsession-errors. However, after clicking around a bit, switching to
FireFox writing this e-mail for example, I see this:

Window manager warning: last_focus_time (262538802) is greater than
comparison timestamp (4020640236).  This most likely represents a
buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as
_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
Window manager warning: last_user_time (262538802) is greater than
comparison timestamp (4020640236).  This most likely represents a
buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as
_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
Window manager warning: 0x40000a4 (emacs - ma) appears to be one of
the offending windows with a timestamp of 262538802.  Working
around...

As you can see, again an Emacs window is mentioned.

I get this in emacs -Q as well as with a fully loaded .emacs.