Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:31:11 +0000

Guten Morgen, David!

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:49:56AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> > Richard Stallman wrote:
> >>     Meanwhile, that stuff from O'Reilly is mostly about how to manage a
> >>     commercially sponsored "open source" project in such a way as to
> >> maximize
> >>     your ability to extract gratis labor from the "community".

> >> Their philosophy and goals are different from ours, but the actual
> >> work of developing software is the same.  A lot of the work of open
> >> source supporters about how to develop software is useful for
> >> supporters of free software.  The crucial philosophical value of
> >> the free software movement does not concern how we develop Emacs,
> >> but rather the freedom of the users once they get it from us.

> > Why is the FSF a union shop?

> It most certainly isn't.  It is a charity.  Its charter has never been
> secret, its agenda hasn't changed.

> So while your entry in the "inflammatory posts over issues solved long
> ago" category gets a point for spirit, it really adds nothing new of
> interest.

Er, David, it was a joke.  Not profound, but subtle enough to raise a
smile on this miserable old hacker before breakfast.  Thanks, Thomas!

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, trade unions in Britain were _very_
insistent on regularly stopping work for a few minutes, during which
drinks made by immersing leaves from India in boiling water would be
drunk.  These intervals were known as "tea breaks".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).