Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:17:01 -0400

> I just see this function from a practical point of view, providing an
> implementation for a special case (Tramp syntax). file-remote-p
> is based on file name handler functions, that means it works over the
> file name syntax.

`file-remote-p' is not "based on file-name-handler function".  Just like
`copy-file', it is a file operation which can be overridden by file-name
handlers.  But for files accessed directly via the OS, it can (and
should) provide any implementation it wants, according to its
intended behavior.

I know it started as a file-name-handler-only thingy, but its new
docstring and this discussion shows that it goes further than that.

> That's why I am not creative enough to see how to implement your
> interpretation of that function.

Maybe you're thinking of "how can I implement it in Tramp" whereas the
Tramp-side of that function is already implemented and this thread is
not only concerned about its behavior for non-file-name-handled files.

        Stefan