Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:36:40 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 13:11:45 René Kyllingstad wrote:

Hi René,

> >  --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >  (defun toggle-frame-fullscreen ()
> >    "Toggle the fullscreen status of the current frame."
> >    (interactive)
> >    (if (eq (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen) 'fullboth)
> >        (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen nil)
> >      (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullboth)))
> >  --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> As the OP said, it isn't implemented as fullscreen on win32.

Yes, but according to the docs it should.

,----[ (info "(elisp)Size Parameters") ]
| `fullscreen'
|      Specify that width, height or both shall be set to the size of
the
|      screen.  The value `fullwidth' specifies that width shall be the
|      size of the screen.  The value `fullheight' specifies that height
|      shall be the size of the screen.  The value `fullboth' specifies
|      that both the width and the height shall be set to the size of
the
|      screen.
`----

In my opinion "size of the screen" != "size of the screen excluding
taskbar and stuff".  So I'd consider that w32 behavior a bug.

> I didn't find a list of what frame-parameters are recognized, and
> which values, but fullboth indicates to me that we're actually talking
> about maximize, and the options are horizontal, vertical, both, in
> classic X11 VM style.

As I pasted above, the docs talk about "size of the screen".  And it
seems that this is not implemented for w32 currently.

There're other frame parameters like height and width, but that won't
get rid of the taskbar and window decorations.

> This is AFAICT the ambiguity the OP was wanted to address.

Probably.  So the real request would be to make the fullscreen parameter
work as documented on w32.  Then my toggle could be used as UI for that
feature.

> How would you request maximize if fullboth is fullscreen?  A maximize
> frame parameter?

There seems to be no such parameter.  You could use the height, width,
left and top parameters to move the frame to position 0,0 and resize it
to the maximum screen estate excluding taskbars, docs and such stuff.
Then you'd need the size a maximized window has as pixel values, because
I see no possibility to get those informations from inside emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo