Re: Requesting bzr repository of emacs on savannah

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Requesting bzr repository of emacs on savannah
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:38:19 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>  I have been using the bzr repository of emacs from:
>>  http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/.  I am using the development
>>  version of bzr and things have improved in terms of
>>  performance.  I have also been lurking on the #bzr IRC channel and see
>>  a lot of positive vibes and focus on improving performance.
>
>>  At this juncture, I request (once again) to the emacs maintainers to
>>  request savannah hackers to setup a read only bzr repository for
>>  emacs.  I did chat on the #savannah on IRC and was told that the
>>  project maintainers need to make a request and they can easily do it.
>
>>  The main reason I am making this request is that connectivity to
>>  "bzr.notengoamigos.org" is slow and affects the perception of bzr
>>  user.  From 2 days, my connection is breaking mid way and prevents me
>>  from pulling changes.  I am looking for something more reliable.
>
> I've been using a bzr branch for my own local branch and basically use
> bzr for everything except "commit to trunk", ever since the
> bzr.notengoamigos.org mirror was setup.  Performance of bzr seems OK
> for my use nowadays.  I.e. we could switch to bzr "any time".  The
> main hurdle for now is that the bzr.notengoamigos.org itself is not
> quite good enough and lacks all the merge info from Miles's Arch
> mirror (it also lacks the file-move info).

I'm really sorry that I haven't made any more progress on this front.  I
just graduated, and that took up a much larger amount of time than I
would have guessed (which is probably why I hadn't graduated earlier :).

I have been experimenting with several ways of getting a better bzr
repository for Emacs, but I just haven't had time to track down the bugs
in the import process that I have run into.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in taking a crack that this
problem I would certainly appreciate the help :).

> So a new conversion of the CVS repository to bzr is needed that will
> fix those problem.  We could switch to bzr as soon as this is done.
>
> As for the speed of bzr.notengoamigos.org, I haven't noticed it being
> slow (but then again I update every day or so, and usually at times
> when I do other things anyway).  But there's a copy of that branch up on
> http://arch.savannah.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/trunk, which any member
> of the "emacs" group can update via sftp.

bzr.notengoamigos.org is pretty well hosted.  If anyone has problems
updating their branches form there I would be interested in hearing
about it.  That's especially true if you start from one of the pre-made
bzr repositories that I have at the site.

I have seen problems with updates if the branch the person is updating
from gets changed, but that shouldn't be a problem if you aren't pulling
down all 100,000 changesets.