Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:38:22 -0600

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:45:32 -0800 (PST) Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

DN> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:58:34 -0800 (PST) Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

DN> It could and it should, just nobody has done the work yet to do it...
DN> If you are interested, it can be done `vc-checkin' by initializing the
DN> `initial-contents' parameter before the call to `vc-start-log-entry'.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to do it by calling the function directly?

DN> Not sure what your question is... What I described is one way to
DN> initialize the contents of the *VC-log* buffer.

There's a function that will do it (`C-c C-a' ==
log-edit-insert-changelog), I'm trying to find out if it's easier to
always call that function when setting up the *VC-log* buffer than use
initial-contents as you suggested.  It seems so to me, and Stefan
suggested it too.

Incidentally, there are two functions named
log-edit-changelog-insert-entries and
log-edit-insert-changelog-entries.  I think one of the two should be
renamed to avoid confusion.

>> Or do you mean I can insert the commented lines I suggested as well
>> that way?

DN> If you add those comments, you'd need to add some post-processing to
DN> make sure they get removed before checking in, so it might not be the
DN> best idea.

It's for user convenience, so I think it's a good idea.  It's just
modifying log-edit-done at the beginning--it already does removal of
trailing empty lines, so this is pretty easy.  Simply go to point-min
and then remove all the lines that match "^;;;".  I can write and test
it unless you or someone else think it's a problem.

Thanks
Ted