Re: multi-threaded Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: multi-threaded Emacs
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:59:41 -0500

>     I think if `yield' is called in accept-process-output and read_char, the
>     remaining places where `yield' might be needed will be fairly few.

> That sort of thing could be enough for the thread-per-terminal job.
> It would also be good for specially written parallel programs.
> But that's as far as it would go.

Indeed.  Further than that, we'd need more explicit
synchronization primitives.  We could probably start with
a (atomically &rest BODY) which guarantees that BODY will be properly
protected from other threads that it will appear to be
executed atomically.
Such a primitive should also include constraints such as "BODY cannot
include non-undoable operations", e.g. it can't save to a file.

        Stefan