Re: Interactive hat. (Patch V2)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive hat. (Patch V2)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:13:09 +0300

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:36:02 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> I think Stefan M.'s approach, face the problem when we come to it,
> is the best here.

That approach is best if you cannot reasonably avoid the potential
trouble in the first place.  This isn't the case here.

>                         (if (and (window-minibuffer-p w)
>                                  (> (minibuffer-depth) 0))
>                             (error
>                              "Attempt to select inactive minibuffer window")))

Why is it a problem to outdent this string?  Or do something like
this:

                            (error "Attempt to select \
inactive minibuffer window")))

or this:

?

> But, on the other hand, why the fuss?  There are menu items which
> are longer, e.g. this one on page "Keymaps":
>
> * Scanning Keymaps::            Looking through all keymaps, for printing
> help.

The problem with long lines exists only in the printed version of the
manual, and only in the address@hidden' environment, because TeX does not
fill text in this environment as it normally would and produces
exactly one line of output for every input line.

In addition, menus produce no output at all in the printed manual, so
whatever we do there cannot possibly cause line overflow.