Re: Emacs on GNUstep

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs on GNUstep
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 11:36:03 +0900

>> We can't simply remove CANNOT_DUMP because dumping requires
>> unexelf.c currently.  The macro __ELF__ cannot be used here because
>> it doesn't necessarily imply the use of unexelf.c (e.g., Solaris
>> 10).

> I think it's OK to say that the GNUStep port currently only "works"
> with ELF systems.  In any case, experience has shown that
> CANNOT_DUMP doesn't really work, so if people want to use GNUStep
> under Solaris, they're just going to have to debug the corresponding
> dump process.  In this context, it's worthwhile to keep/put the
> "#ifdef NS_IMPL_GNUSTEP" in unexelf.c as a document that can be
> useful for hackers trying to make it work on other unex*.c.

Dumping "works", but the GNUstep port itself doesn't at least for me.
Maybe you want to show some warning message at the configure time not
only for non-ELF systems but also for the GNUstep port in general.
I've installed a change only for unexelf.c.  Please make remaining
changes as you think appropriate.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden