Re: GSoC gdb-mi.el changes

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: GSoC gdb-mi.el changes
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dmitry Dzhus <address@hidden> writes:

  > Good day gentlemen.
  > Recently I've installed many changes for gdb-mi.el to Emacs trunk. They
  > include, but not limited to, support for non-stop multithread debugging
  > as provided by development version of GDB 7.0 and support for observing
  > several threads simultaneously, as well as fixes for bugs reported in
  > Emacs bugs list. This work was done during my GSoC student project
  > (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/GDB-MI). This GDB interface fully uses GDB
  > Machine Interface instead of annotations used by gdb-ui.el package
  > present in earlier Emacs versions.
  > I've updated «GDB Graphical Interface» section of the Emacs manual to
  > reflect user-visible changes. Make sure you read the notes under
  > «Multithreaded Debugging» subsection before trying the new
  > functionality.
  > I needed to add two new icons under etc/images/gud/ directory. I hope
  > I've updated README properly.

Thanks for the great effort on improving this!

  > Suggestions and bug reports are welcome.

Suggestion: don't show the -i=mi flag, users don't care about it (same
way rgrep/lgrep don't show the -n flag they pass to grep)

echo 'int main () { printf ("Hello, World!\n");}' > t.c
gcc t.c
emacs -Q
M-x gdb RET ./a.out RET

error in process filter: Symbol's function definition is void: mapcar*

M-x load-library RET cl RET
M-x gdb RET ./a.out RET

Show the disassembly window

b main

A warning pops up:
&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n"

The cursor in the disassembly does not move correctly when single
stepping and it does not update the stack frames all the time.

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (