Re: GSoC gdb-mi.el changes

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: GSoC gdb-mi.el changes
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dmitry Dzhus <address@hidden> writes:

  > Good day gentlemen.
  >
  > Recently I've installed many changes for gdb-mi.el to Emacs trunk. They
  > include, but not limited to, support for non-stop multithread debugging
  > as provided by development version of GDB 7.0 and support for observing
  > several threads simultaneously, as well as fixes for bugs reported in
  > Emacs bugs list. This work was done during my GSoC student project
  > (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/GDB-MI). This GDB interface fully uses GDB
  > Machine Interface instead of annotations used by gdb-ui.el package
  > present in earlier Emacs versions.
  >
  > I've updated «GDB Graphical Interface» section of the Emacs manual to
  > reflect user-visible changes. Make sure you read the notes under
  > «Multithreaded Debugging» subsection before trying the new
  > functionality.
  >
  > I needed to add two new icons under etc/images/gud/ directory. I hope
  > I've updated README properly.

Thanks for the great effort on improving this!

  > Suggestions and bug reports are welcome.

Suggestion: don't show the -i=mi flag, users don't care about it (same
way rgrep/lgrep don't show the -n flag they pass to grep)

Issues:
echo 'int main () { printf ("Hello, World!\n");}' > t.c
gcc t.c
emacs -Q
M-x gdb RET ./a.out RET

error in process filter: Symbol's function definition is void: mapcar*

M-x load-library RET cl RET
M-x gdb RET ./a.out RET

Show the disassembly window

b main

A warning pops up:
&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n"

si
si
si

The cursor in the disassembly does not move correctly when single
stepping and it does not update the stack frames all the time.

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (6.8.50.20090302-33.fc11)

Thanks
        --dan