Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:53:41 -0500

> is a closer equivalent of the CVS checkout, because it only checks out
> the working tree without creating a full local copy of history.  The
> history is only needed if one wants to commit locally.  People who
> don't plan on using local commits don't need to pay the extra price of
> larger disk storage and probably also some additional time it takes to
> do a heavyweight checkout.

> OTOH, if we think that a heavyweight checkout is the recommended way,
> then we should at least mention its main benefit -- the local commit.

The local commit (at least via --local) is not for the faint of heart
(at least it got me confused several times, because when you later dp
an "update", it seems to label the conflicts in ways that make me
believe that my changes are actually the ones fetched from upstream and
vice-versa).
So, no, it's not the main feature.  The main feature is that "bzr diff",
"bzr log", and friends will work without requiring access to the
remote repository.

> Currently, the page only hints on that, but stops short of showing the
> commands to use this potential:

>   You have in your disk a copy of the VC history of the trunk branch
>   since the last bzr update. Hence, Bazaar does not need to contact a
>   server upstream for displaying logs, reverting edited files,
>   annotating, etc. This is useful for working off-line.

>   Bazaar makes possible to commit changes off-line to your local history
>   and send them upstream in one batch.

> Personally, I would do both: tell about --lightweight as the
> equivalent of CVS, and also tell about the local commits available
> with the heavyweight checkouts.  But that's me.

I could agree to adding some comment about the use of "unbind" to turn
a heavyweight checkout into a plain branch.  But maybe it's even better
to not present "heavyweight checkout" and instead only present the
"standalone branch" instead:

checkout via:    bzr branch <foo>
update via:      bzr pull
commit via:      bzr commit; bzr push