Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:00:30 +0900

Teemu Likonen writes:

 > No problem. I'll still repeat that it's indeed misinformation. Here's a
 > raw content of a certain commit object in Emacs Git repository (the
 > four-space indent is by me):

cat'ing the object doesn't prove anything.  The header content is
easily separable from the commit message, and in theory you could
generate the SHA1 based on the header only.  (I can't imagine Linus
doing such a thing, but it would immediately occur to most Emacs

Here's an experimental proof:

# Verify identity.
$ git rev-parse HEAD
$ git cat-file commit HEAD | git hash-object --stdin -t commit

# Verify difference -- I happen to know that the word "Update" occurs
# uniquely in the comment portion of this commit.
$ git cat-file commit HEAD | sed -e s/Update/Rewrite/ \