Re: scrollbar alternative

From: Zhu, Shenli
Subject: Re: scrollbar alternative
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:12:54 +0800

On 2010-03-15 17:28 +0000, David Engster wrote:

To me, the GTK scrollbars always behaved a bit strange in this regard,
anyway. For example, I think scrollbars should be hidden when there is
nothing to scroll, this way giving you an immediate optical hint that
you're currently seeing everything there is. But in Emacs, you can
always scroll the window until (window-start) reaches (point-max).

Therefore, I also disabled the scrollbar and now use some code to get a
scrollbar-like display in the mode-line. I know there's
size-indication-mode, but I find an information like "13% of 2.8k" not
very helpful.

Does your code just show the percentage in a fancy face?

I turned off scrollbar too and use fringe arrows and percentage on the
modeline. I tried your code but didn't notice any difference.

It displays the percentage and displays a moving bar, just like a
scrollbar, but you can't drag it. It should look something like this:

-David
Hi David,

I tried to copy your code to my .emacs file, but my mode bar doesn't change like yours. Shall I change something else?

My mode bar look like:
mode bar only percentage

Thanks in advance!
Shenli