Re: Bell

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bell
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:24:33 -0400

>>> I agree; the bell is a holdover from more barbaric times.
>> I see we all agree.  Could someone send a patch to make C-g send an SMS?
> In http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg01291.html
> I proposed to add a new symbol property `error-bell' by analogy with
> properties `error-message' and `error-conditions' and with possible
> values t, nil and `visible', and to put this property with the value nil
> on `beginning-of-buffer', `end-of-buffer' and `keyboard-quit'.
> This makes possible to add more values later, e.g. `user-error'
> or even `send-sms' and `send-tweet'.

This is a separate issue.
The first issue is "when we decided we want to ring the bell, how do we
do it".  Personally I *hate* it when my computer makes a "beep", so the
only option I consider acceptable is the visual bell.

For this reason, I strongly advocate we use a visual bell by default.
If some people don't like the currentl visual bell, maybe we can come up
with a better one.

        Stefan

PS: As for deciding when to ring a bell, maybe your proposition is
a good one, but for me it is a minor issue compared to the choice of
which bell to use.