Re: Installing changes from branches

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Installing changes from branches
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:41:59 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> Indeed, you can also do that:
>>
>>    cd .../trunk
>>    bzr merge .../quickfix
>>    bzr revert --forget-merges
>>    bzr commit ...
>>
>> that's virtually the same as "diff&patch": it forgets all about the
>> branch's history.
>
> But according to Óscar Fuentes you must later overwrite your quickfix
> branch with a pull --overwrite.  I assume you loose local history on
> the quickfix branch then?

Yes. After the `bzr pull --overwrite' the quickfixes branch becomes
identical to `trunk'. Hopefully, for quick fixes the local history is
not something so valuable that you want to keep it around. Furthermore,
a quick fix is usually made of a single commit, so you end mapping your
local commit on `quickfixes' to a single commit on `trunk', which
lessens the history loss.

> It is all very confusing.

Indeed. Bazaar chose to provide a multitude of workflows without
requiring an understanding of its fundamental model (which is quite
simple.) It is like pretending from someone to learn how to pilot a
Jumbo without knowing the purpose of the airplane's wings and tail.