Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:50:33 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> I see two separate tasks here:
>
> 1. Using Gtk-tabs at the top the the frame to switch window configurations.
> This is like tabs in web browsers and "perspectives" in Eclipse.
>
> 2. Using Gtk-tabs in subwindows to bind mode-specific actions to tabs.
> This is like tabs above a subwindow in Eclipse that would allow
> Emacs packages to create tabs above the window along with the header line.

I've been following the discussion only cursorly, so please excuse any
ignorance on my part, but let me chime in with a real-life use case for
the 2nd variant:

In Common Lisp you can enter the debugger on a per thread basis. So at
the moment, every time an error is signaled in a thread, a new buffer
displaying a new debugger instance pops up. In case of many threads
interacting with each other, it can easily arise that an error in one
thread leads to other threads erroring out too after some small
delay. At the moment, input focus is always stolen after each delay
because a new buffer pops up, and you're essentially forced to wait
until the system reached an equilibrium.

Now there may be existing ways to improve that situation, but I think
mode-specific tabs would fit really well: for each new error in a
thread, a new tab will be pushed onto the existing tab list of the
debugger window.

  -T.