Re: VC and bzr.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: VC and bzr.
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:18:33 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The solution for the annoying slowness of commit operations is the smart
>> server,
>
> Not fast enough to save us from async VC commit (which will also be
> useful for CVS and Svn, although for CVS this is less pressing since
> PCL-CVS already provides all-async functionality).
>
>> and if that doesn't reduce the required time to something
>> reasonable, the Bazaar people have the means for fixing the
>> problem.
>
> I don't know what that means or if it's true.

The problem now is that bzr must operate on a remote filesystem and a
commit may require quite a bit of file I/O.

Once you have a friendly buddy on the other end, there is no reason for
a commit to a remote branch taking much more time than a local one,
being the setup of the ssh session the most expensive addition.

If Bazaar's server does not perform that way, it doesn't deserve the
"smart" tag. But at least the developers can improve it, contrary to
http/sftp.