Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exit

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:42:19 +0200

On 2010-05-04 15:48, Stefan Monnier wrote:

What I say is that users couldn't care less what's the POSIX cwd of
Emacs (as long as it's sane, that is).

Oh, they do care where Emacs is started from the command line. How else can they get Emacs to automatically read saved desktops?

You're suggesting a user-level feature (a new command line arg) based on
some obscure internal detail.  That doesn't make much sense unless
there's no other way to get the user-level behavior you want.

I didn't think automatic loading of desktops and getting the right default-direcotry was obscure.

The --chdir is not enough to restore the default-directory of all the
buffers either.   So if you want to preserve that info, then add
`default-directory' to desktop-locals-to-save rather than try to get
that same result in a round about way by adding a new vaguely related
feature which doesn't quite do what we want anyway.

No, if I have done a cd in some buffer, it is not enough. But for all other uses, it is. How will desktop-locals-to-save restore the default-directory if I don't use desktop.el?

Where else should Emacs be restarted?

Doesn't matter as long as the end result is the one we want.
Usually I'd expect $HOME to be a good choice.

And how will Emacs avoid to load my desktop file there if I didn't use it previously?

        Jan D.