Re: delete-file to trash

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: delete-file to trash
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 01:27:44 +0100

On 23/05/10 01:09, Chong Yidong wrote:

So, it seems better to flip the new FORCE argument to delete-file.  We
could change it to an argument ALLOW-TRASH, and change the doc of
delete-by-moving-to-trash to say that it will only take effect on calls
to `delete-file' that use the ALLOW-TRASH argument.  This is backward
incompatible but I don't see any better solution.

One oddity is that delete-file is directly usable interactively, I know I'm in the habit (though I _don't_ use the trashcan) - flipping the sense of the optional arg would effectively mean that it won't use the trashcan when called interactively, wouldn't it? Unless you further make it special-case direct interactive use to be an 'allow-trash op of course.

Um. You can use M-x move-file-to-trash interactively too I suppose, that might be adequate if users can train themselves to do that instead of M-x delete-file.