Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:55:21 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden writes:
> On 16/06/10 00:59, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> All I do to check this is open window.c and then hit/hold down the
>> down arrow key (or "j" in viper).
>>
>> Does this work without "jumping scrolling" for you? (You have to test
>> for a while, the jumping does not happen always. I is a bit like
>> playing a computer game.)
>>

> I see this sometimes, with the recipe you outline.
>
> Sometimes emacs seems to decide to recenter, when it has "too much"
> input while display is taking its time (which I guess it might for
> e.g. font-locked window.c or a bunch of foreign scripts on
> view-hello-file)

Yes, absolutely. This is why scrolling usually works fine for 'simple'
setups, but gets jumpy as soon as you're using font-lock, overlong
lines, different fonts (especially TTFs), flyspell etc. I'm currently
working on a rather large LaTeX-File using AucTeX, font-lock, with a
fixed font for plain text and a TTF font for math formulas, and Emacs is
recentering while scrolling *all* the time. I think over the years I
really tried everything I could find, but nothing fixed this. The only
thing that's actually working a little bit is to set scroll-margin to a
larger value, so that the cursor has some leeway before leaving the
window, but even then it sometimes recenters. Turning off font-lock is
actually what's helping most.

-David