Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:51:20 -0400

Ivan Kanis <address@hidden> writes:

> I think turning on CUA mode by default would help first time users. If
> there's a one line of lisp to turn it off and have the old behavior I
> don't mind. I don't think veteran emacs user would mind either.

No, having CUA mode on by default is off the table.

This proposal has been discussed before, and there are many problems
with it.  For instance, by default, C-c LETTER is reserved for user
customizations; CUA prevents such key bindings when the region is
active.

Let's not revisit this discussion.  It is not difficult to turn on CUA
mode, for those who want it; it's even in the Options menu.