Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:01:57 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> And we would need to define new guidelines for modes.  These
> recommendations are also in conflict with CUA:

... snip stuff about C-c ..

> But since old emacs users and users happy with the emacs way would like
> to stick to the default bindings, we would have to somehow invend
> conventions that fit for both Emacs and CUAmacs.  I'm pretty sure that's
> near to impossible if you want to preserve a rest of mnemonics and
> consistency.

C-c is addressed in CUA mode, it only does copy if transient mode is
on. You can still get C-c in transient by pressing C-c twice. It's
technically possible for emacs to have sane key binding, it's just
political not do so.

On a somewhat related note emacs added long line visual motion. It was
turned on by default possibly creating confusion for veteran users. The
same old user can quickly find that setting line-move-visual to nil gets
her the old behavior.

Why can't we do that for CUA mode? I think that politics get in the way.

Have a nice day,
--
Ivan Kanis
http://kanis.fr

Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.
    -- Oscar Wilde