Re: vc-mode-line

From: Leo
Subject: Re: vc-mode-line
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:52:10 +0100

On 2010-07-30 12:53 +0100, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> This function's doc string (and the corresponding portion of the Emacs
> manual) does not document all the possible characters that can appear
> between the name of the back-end and the revision number.
>
> I will take care of fixing that, but while at that, I'm surprised that
> the characters selected to express the various statuses have such a
> small mnemonic value. `-' would be much more appropriate for removed
> files, and locally added files should use `+' rather than `@'. How
> entrenched are the current indicators? is it possible to change them,
> or will that cause massive breakage elsewhere and/or user outcry?

For modern SCMs it makes sense also to hook the modeline info in dired
buffer (and eshell buffer etc.).

For example, if I eval the elisp code below in a dired visiting a git
repo:

(vc-mode-line default-directory
              (ignore-errors
                 (vc-responsible-backend default-directory)))

the char between backend and branch is always :

It'd be nice if you could also improve this. Thanks.

Leo