Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 01:14:14 -0500

>> Clearly, the wrong thing you did is focus on non-Free tools.
> If the index is there anyway, there's nothing wrong with providing
> access to it.  Emacs has never been designed to work exclusively with
> free software, as desirable as that situation would be.

Emacs has always been designed around the idea that you shouldn't need
proprietary code to use a feature, so his code can't be integrated until
it is made to also support Free alternatives.

And regardless, I find it to be an error of his to prefer
ease-of-installation over freedom.  Of course, that's just my opinion
(tho I suspect I share it with several other people on this list).

        Stefan