Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:33:16 +0200

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:22:35 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The current idutils.el does not contain much. It is just a
> define-compilation-mode (which adds nothing but adds one keyword) and
> a a command gid which just does compilation-start (and does some
> things that belongs to define-compile-command).

That's because lid, the command that performs the indexed search, has
an option that causes it to produce grep-like output.  So id-utils.el
doesn't need to do much, since everything is already in compile.el.
For other search programs, which don't support output formats that map
well to what compile.el groks, more massaging of the output will be
needed.

> I installed that and tried it. However it either crashes or says
> something like this
>
>   C:\>mkid -o OUTFILE DIR
>   mkid: can't get working directory: Permission denied

Which is why I made my own port: the one on GnuWin32 is simply broken.
If you tell me how to upload a binary zip file to some site where you
can get it, I will.