Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:25:54 +0100

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:47:28 -0800, "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:
> What if a different window mgr does not use that key for `Close'?  Do
> we not make it the Emacs default for that platform?  Do we instead
> bind that platform's `Close' key by default there?

We don't have to look very far into the future for this, or to very
exotic window managers.  My current window manager is 'awesome', and its
key bindings are *all* tunable through Lua code.  The setup I use now
binds <win - f4> to the `kill-client' event (where <win> is the key to
the left of <left_alt>.  In this setup there's also another tiny nit
that affects what <alt-f4> means: <alt> is always passed to the X11
client frame as <meta>.

I also don't see why Emacs should start binding <alt-f4> or <win-f4> or
any other key some window manager _may_ bind.