Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 02:49:09 -0800

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> This is the typical event loop of a Windows application (pseudocode):
>
> switch(event) {
> case foo: do_something(); break;
> case bar: do_something_else(); break;
> /* More case's for all events we are interested on */
> /* Let Windows handle all the rest: */
> default: let_Windows_process_it()
> }
>
> When Alt-F4 is delegated to Windows, it generates events for closing the
> active window.
>
> On Windows, if the Emacs system menu is activated (you click the icon
> just above the File menu) it shows a standard entry "Close Alt-F4". But
> then you press Alt-F4 and Emacs reports on the modeline "<M-f4> is
> undefined".

It sounds like the 'correct' thing to do is is to call
let_Windows_process_it() whenever any "<foo-key> is undefined" message
is reported.  The question of how difficult that would be to do is
another matter.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> If the latter (b) is the only reason, then I don't see that as a good reason
> force the same restriction on Emacs when used with other window mgrs that do
> not
> grab it.  If Gnome and KDE forced Emacs to paint everything bright yellow,
> would
> we think it's appropriate to force the same thing on all other platforms?

If Emacs with the default configuration was bright yellow in Gnome and
KDE, and you installed it on some less well-supported platform with
the default configuration, wouldn't you expect it to be the same color
as it was in Gnome and KDE?  Especially since all the other
applications on this platform are also bright yellow, and the only
reason Emacs isn't is because of a slight hiccup in the paint-handling
code.

I don't think the argument that "if we bind <M-f4> to this function
now, we won't be able to bind it to something else later" holds up for
this key combination.  The author of some new whiz-bang-mode might
consider binding <M-f12> to whiz-bang-cool-new-function, but <M-f4> is
already so well-known as the "close this window" key that I don't
think you could seriously propose using it for anything else at this
point.

-PJ