Re: elpa.gnu.org packages in an Emacs checkout

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org packages in an Emacs checkout
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:43:47 -0500

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> OK.  Which ones of:
>
> nt/INSTALL
> doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
> doc/emacs/anti.texi
> doc/misc/faq.texi
> admin/notes/bzr
> admin/notes/bugtracker
> admin/bzrmerge.el
> INSTALL
> INSTALL.BZR
> etc/THE-GNU-PROJECT
> etc/CONTRIBUTE
>
> should I do (trying to avoid unnecessary modifications)?

Several of those suggestions make no sense (perhaps I missed the sarcasm).

I would say for sure mention elpa.gnu.org in:

doc/misc/faq.texi
etc/MORE.STUFF
etc/NEWS (already a brief mention I see)

and at some point closer to the release in the Emacs manual.

I wouldn't mention the bzr branch in any of those places, because that
detail is not relevant to users. They should just go through
elpa.gnu.org. Is there any reason users need to know about the bzr
branch at all? It could be mentioned in a note on http://elpa.gnu.org.

As to documenting the existence of the elpa branch for developers, I
don't know what there is to say, but I think admin/notes/elpa is the
right place.

But see what others think since I haven't thought about this much.