Re: adding a standard font-lock-number-face

From: Donald Ephraim Curtis
Subject: Re: adding a standard font-lock-number-face
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:29:58 -0500

Hi,

I was originally the person that brought this to Fabian's attention, and so it
was my "complaint".  But he's more-correct in that it's not a "complaint" as
much as something I like.

There are numerous posts elsewhere where people have fixed this issue by adding
some elisp to their personal configs; i will not fill this thread with links to
prove the point.  I currently do this in my configuration file.  Performance
doesn't seem to be an issue.  As well, there are plenty of other editors (whose
authors are developers themselves) that also must find this useful; since they
include this highlighting.  This doesn't mean Emacs should go jump off a bridge
(because their friends are doing it).

I don't understand why syntax highlighting has to *only* signify structure.
More important is to help me (the user/developer) navigating the code.  I
personally find highlighting numbers does help me navigate code; especially in
debugging.  Highlighting should be useful over being "technically consistent".

Regardless of opinions, limiting the available faces limits theme designers and
ultimately limits the user.  The default can always be to inherit the
default-face.  At least then there is a face for this type of thing that modes
and themes can use.

This is just an opportunity for Emacs to include some better (i.e., expected,
standard, common, etc.) defaults.  Maybe that's not the point, but everytime it
takes me an hour or more – because i'm a newb – to do something I think should
be really simple, I'm a bit annoyed.  So then I think, maybe I could fix this
for future generations.  And here we are.

argument against myself: it's easy to add into your personal config so no big
deal.

--
Donald Ephraim Curtis
address@hidden