Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 14:33:48 -0400

On 8/6/2011 1:27 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Do you want to use the built-in SMTP, the system mailer or a different
user mailer?  (b, s, d)

That would be perfect, although getting a single-line prompt that's
understandable by random users is a challenge.

I would go one step further and actually offer mailclient as the default, with an option to choose something different if desired. After all, we're targeting users who are trying to use emacs to send mail but have not configured it. I would guess that the most common case for this is sending a bug report. Mailclient has the advantage that it should just work OOTB for most people, without any configuration.

But it's not clear what's the best way to refer to mailclient in the prompt. How about "your default mailer", perhaps with some help text that explains that it is the same mailer the user would get by clicking on an email link in their web browser?

Ken