Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:34:08 +1000

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Whatever the default selected, it needs to add value to the largest
>> group of users possible.
>
> On the other hand, we are in a feature freeze.  Emacs has never
> defaulted to using mailclient.el for non-Windows users.

If the feature freeze is that critical, I would argue that this
default should not be changed from its default as set in the last
release.

Changing a default is something that requires considerable evaluation,
refinement and ideally, consensus.   If we are to be constrained in
finding the optimum new default settings simply due to a somewhat
arbitrary feature freeze date, we should leave changing this default
until the next release or feature development phase.

Changing of any default setting is not something that should be
'rushed through' simply because of a decision to have a feature
freeze.  If in doubt, we should be conservative and stick with the
default used in the last release and re-visit the new default
proposals in the next development cycle.

Tim