Re: convert-standard-filename

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:24:02 -0400

>> > Except for the issue with non-existing files, is there difference,
>> > btw?
>> Ever heard of (symbolic|hard) links?
> Not sure.  Something vague comes to mind...
> So what are they? file-name-equal or file-equal, or maybe both?

I think they're file-equal but not file-name-equal, since I consider
file-name-equal to be something that shouldn't pay too much attention to
the actual existing files.

But that's part of the issues that need to be clarified in the design
of file-name-equal.  BTW, rather than file-name-equal we may prefer to
provide file-name-canonical such that

  (defun file-name-equal (f1 f2)
    (equal (file-name-canonical f1) (file-name-canonical f2)))

In any case, all these things are for post-24.1.

        Stefan