Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el (was: more on starttls, gnutls-c

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el (was: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:06:29 +0200

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Second: I think it was a mistake that we fully deprecated
> `smtpmail-auth-credentials' in favor of ~/.authinfo, instead of, say,
> just making the latter override the former when the latter is present.
> It's good to have an entirely off-disk option for passing credentials;
> maybe most users won't use it, but some will, and it's good in principle
> to offer it.  (For example, search for that variable in [1] to see how I
> was using it.)

I think it would be nice to find an auth-source based solution for the
multiple-account smtpmail case.  Which shouldn't be difficult, I think.
How about just adding a `smtpmail-user' variable, that when bound or set
would make smtpmail.el feed that user name to auth-source, and then get
the correct credentials?

`smtpmail-user' would be set from `message-send-hook' or the like, of
course.