Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:02:14 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:17:29 -0400
>
>   Switch to buffer: a{data.tex,foo.ada,*scratch*}
>
> so maybe the {,,,} list should use bidi-string-mark-left-to-right before
> the comma.

They should probably run each completion candidate through
bidi-string-mark-left-to-right, yes.

I say "probably" because there's a separate but related issue with
buffer and file names that include R2L characters and end in weak or
neutral characters: those weak or neutrals will be displayed to the
left of the R2L characters, as in "DCBA!" (instead of the more
plausible "!DCBA"), and appending the LRM will not cure that.  So
perhaps we should have a more comprehensive plan for handling these
issues before we start sprinkling bidi-string-mark-left-to-right all
over the place.

It is also possible we should add a more general bidi-string-mark-dwim
function, which uses either LRM or RLM depending on the paragraph
direction, to avoid additional changes later, when the UI will be
localizable.