Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:01:44 -0700

On 10/30/2012 6:15 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Hmm... that's odd.  Can you give me some details:
> - tell me exactly which text you typed in the minibuffer.

I typed "c:\bin\" in the minibuffer and hit tab. After hitting tab, the
minibuffer contained "c:/usr/bin", with point at the end.

> - also tell me how the rfn-eshadow highlights the file name at each step.

Now that you mention it, I do see that the leading "c:" in the minibuffer
ishighlighted. That explains why we're substituting "c:/usr/bin" and not
"/usr/bin".

> Right.  BTW I'm not convinced this is the right pattern to use for your
> file-name-handler.  I think catching "\\[a-zA-Z]:" or something along
> these lines might be a better choice.

Not all paths I want to catch are absolute, so looking for a drive letter won't
catch everything. Even "absolute" paths can be drive-letter-relative and begin
with a simple backslash. Looking for a backslash is convenient because no
legitimate Cygwin path contains one.

> BTW, does Cygwin allow backslashes in file-names or does it interpret it
> as a separator, like Windows does?

Cygwin interprets backslashes as separators.