Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name is not distributive
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:10:01 -0700

On 10/28/2012 12:09 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Here's what I threw together to try to get this working. I took a look
>> at minibuffer.el and other pieces of code seem to make the same
>> assumption. Maybe the requote operation needs a a file-name-handler?
>
> I installed a new implementation of the requote, which should handle
> your case better.  It still tripped up some later assertions, but
> I think those assertions are too strict in this case, so I commented
> them out and it seemed to work in my test.
> If you still find bogus behavior, please file a bug-report.

Now c:\bin\ gets transformed into c:/usr/bin/ at the completion prompt, which is
no good: besides being the wrong completion (with respect to c:\bin\, since
there is no c:\usr at the Windows level), the lack of backslashes in the
substituted path completely disables the file-name-handler I'm trying to use.

I feel like I need a hook outside the quoting done by the function with
completion-table-with-quoting. I'll see whether I can mock something up with
advice.