Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 19:21:38 +0300

Barry Warsaw [2013-04-02 11:45:08 -0400] wrote:

> On Apr 02, 2013, at 06:13 PM, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>> There have been ideas why Git is inferior to its competitors. Yet it
>> became the leader.
>
> Network effects are powerful, but don't always lead to the best
> choice.

True, I guess. But many large projects use Git and I believe they are
competent programmers and people who know what they want. Do you think
that Git is wrong tool for many people who are using it now?

> OTOH, I still suspect that dvcs adoption is miles behind traditional
> vcses such as Subversion.

Maybe, but among Debian GNU/Linux users Git surpassed Subversion's
popularity in the mid 2011. Below is a graph from Debian's automatic
popularity contest. It's a "vote" graph which shows if the binary files
in the packages have been accessed recently (atime).

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=git%2Cmercurial%2Cbzr%2Csubversion&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&from_date=2010-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

The "install" graph looks the same. This is just about machines that
have packages installed.

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=git%2Cmercurial%2Cbzr%2Csubversion&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&from_date=2010-05-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

Here's again the "vote" graph but only for bzr and mercurial packages.
It seems that Bzr's trend is subtle downhill but it's too early to tell
for sure.

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=mercurial%2Cbzr&show_vote=on&want_legend=on&from_date=2010-05-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1