Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:44:11 +0300

Eli Zaretskii [2013-04-02 20:24:40 +0300] wrote:

> From: Teemu Likonen <address@hidden>
>> Yes, and the other in my message was "the functionality that they
>> [users] want." Meaning features that matter.
>
> So you are saying Emacs doesn't have "the functionality that they
> [users] want"?

Yes. But this is about masses. Emacs has a lot of power but that power
does not matter to most people (I believe). They don't need the power.
Surely Emacs's power matters to me. Thank you all!

So, in my opinion Git has just the kind of power that matter to
potential DVCS users and that's why it got popular. It's just my
reasoning, though.

It's probably so that people who like Git tend to explain that it got
popular because the software is good. On the other hand people who don't
like Git tend to explain that it's not about Git's quality but rather a
network effect and general coolness aspect of the choice (Hey, Torvalds
uses it!!!!!!). That's how we humans explain things. Good things are
popular because of reasons worth having. Bad things are popular because
of worthless reasons.