Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 12:59:57 +0200

>> > You installed the MSYS Texinfo package, didn't you?
>>
>> Not explicitly.  I think it is part of the `msys-base' package.
>>
>> BTW, that is the only Texinfo I've ever used, even for producing the
>> info files whenever I've bootstrapped Emacs.
>>
>> >  My guess is that
>> > it doesn't support compressed Info files, so it thinks they are not
>> > there.  What does "install-info --version" say in the MSYS Bash
>> > window?
>>
>>   $ install-info --version
>>   install-info (GNU texinfo) 4.13
>
> Strange, v4.13 does support compressed Info files.  Perhaps try
> invoking it from the command line, and see if it reports any errors.

I've found the problem and one solution.

Error messages like this one:
  install-info: No such file or directory for /usr/share/info/emacs.info

suggested that this command from the Makefile:
  /bin/install-info --info-dir=c:/usr/share/info c:/usr/share/info/$elt

was failing because, the shell was passing the argument
"/usr/share/info/XXXX" to the program instead of the intended
"c:/usr/share/info/XXXX", and "/usr/share/info/XXXX" is a different
path which references to a non-existent file.

I've tried to use the UNIX-like path: "make install prefix=/c/usr" and
it solved the problem.

This seems to suggest that, from the MSYS bash, it is safer to use the
UNIX-like paths instead of the Windows native ones.

I've also repeated the whole configuration using exclusively UNIX-like paths:
  $ CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 -I/c/include' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3'
../mybranch/nt/msysconfig.sh --prefix=/c/usr --enable-checking

It worked fine, and "make && make install" worked fine too.

The resulting Emacs has a complete info directory.  Good!!

There remains a minor annoyance, though: the info directory (attached
to this mail) has some parts with DOS-type EOLs an other parts with
UNIX-type EOLs.  Therefore, my Emacs shows some annoying "^M" chars.

--
Dani Moncayo