Re: eww

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:13:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> EWW looks quite good, thanks.  A few comments, based on 5 min of using
> it:
>
>  . Mouse clicks on hyper links don't do what I'd expect in a Web
>    browser.

I've now bound mouse-1:

+    (define-key map [down-mouse-1] 'shr-browse-url)

But I seem to remember there being different conventions for what mouse
button should be the "action" button?  Or is binding mouse-1 still the
right thing to do?

Speaking of keymaps, eww/shr uses the `local-map' text property to bind
actions on links.  Is there a way to make the major mode map keys work
even if you're standing on text with `local-map'?

That is, eww-mode binds (for instance) the `g' key (for reloading the
page), but if I hit `g' on text that has a `local-map' text property
(and which doesn't bind `g' itself), it's then bound to
`self-insert-command', which is not what I want.

>  . Images embedded in the pages somehow get newlines before and after
>    them, which looks ugly: each image is alone on its own line.  E.g.,
>    in Wikipedia, look at any page that shows formulae.  Ugly.

Yes.  There's two problems:

1) Images are inserted asynchronously, so shr has no idea how big the
images are when it renders the text.  shr could wait until it's loaded
all the images, but that would be slow and awkward, or it could re-flow
the text, which it doesn't have enough data at that point to do.

2) When rendering tables, shr tries to keep everything lined up.  Even
if it knew how big the images are (which it doesn't), the Emacs display
engine isn't powerful enough to line stuff up vertically when there's
elements of different sizes.  So it can't.

>  . Need more key bindings (I see only 3 for now).  E.g., using 'p' to
>    go to the previous URL should be augmented by at least M-<left>.

I don't want to re-bind any common cursor-related keys.

>  . Buttons on the tool bar are sorely missed.

What kind of buttons?