Re: eww

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:34:19 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, two additional questions: I noticed that in net/browse-url.el you added
> eww between Mosaic and Mosaic CCI in `browse-url-browser-function'.
> Why such a strange place?

I just picked a place at random after the more popular browsers.

Speaking of which, should that list be cleaned up a bit?  There's a lot
of browsers in there which haven't existed in a decade...

> Also while trying to customize `browse-url-browser-function' to eww,
> it fails to browse links.  Perhaps, this should be fixed by creating a new
> function `browse-url-eww' similar to other `browse-url-...' functions?

It should have been `eww-browse-url' instead of the plain `eww'
command.  I'll fix that.

> Another question is that
> `M-x eww RET http://duckduckgo.com/?q=my+user+agent RET'
> says that the user agent of eww is just "URL/Emacs".
> Any respectable browser has a longish text for the User-Agent.
> So its User-Agent would be more informative with something like
> "eww/5.130008 URL/1.1 Emacs/24.3.50 (gnu/linux)"...

I'm kinda for keeping the User-Agent short and sweet.  But is URL/Emacs
valid?  It's supposed to be Client/Version.  I guess "Emacs" is a
version of sorts...