Re: some progress (was: bidi support? (Hebrew))

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: some progress (was: bidi support? (Hebrew))
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:50:57 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:27:49 +0200
>

> Well the http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DisplayEngineForBiDi

It's awfully outdated.  Bidirectional editing in Emacs is no longer
"work in progress", since the release of Emacs 24.1.

> I am missing interactive function turning bidi on and off.

There isn't any.  Why would you need one?

> BTW where and how can I use bigger fonts for hebrew? (I am using  Laptop
> with a 12 inch screen and the one emacs uses per default are small)

Does it help to type "C-x C-+"?

> (setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)

That is already so by default.

> (defun my-turn-bidi-on ()
>   "Just start with  to R2L."
>   (interactive)
>   (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction 'right-to-left)
>   (message "R2L on!"))

No need, Emacs determines the correct base direction of each paragraph
automatically, using the method described in the UAX#9.

And paragraph direction has very little to do with display of
bidirectional text per se.  The latter works no matter what is the
paragraph's base direction.  If it didn't, you'd be unable to have R2L
text in a middle of an otherwise L2R paragraph.

> (defun my-turn-bidi-off ()
>   "Just start with  to L2R."
> (interactive)
>   (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction 'left-to-right)
>   (message "R2L off!"))

Likewise, not needed.