Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:55:39 +0400

On 05.07.2013 15:08, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The only problem with it I can see is, it sets eldoc-documentation-function,
so it can't be used outside of comments.

I don't understand why setting eldoc-documentation-function would
prevent something from being used in comments.

yard-mode's value of eldoc-documentation-function is only useful in comments. I'm maintaining another package, which sets a different value of eldoc-documentation-function that is only useful outside of comments. The two don't mesh.

I guess we'll eventually need eldoc-documentation-functions hook, like
we have for completions.

(add-function :around (local eldoc-documentation-function) ...)

should make eldoc-documentation-functions unnecessary.

Ah, good. Never having used `add-function' before, I assumed it wouldn't work when the "value at place" is nil, as eldoc-documentation-function is, by default.

I guess that means *-functions hooks are going away.