Re: admin/unidata updates

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: admin/unidata updates
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:01:10 +0300

> From: address@hidden (K. Handa)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 00:41:54 +0900
>
> In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > And I have a couple of questions for Handa-san:
>
> >   . In otf-script-alist, some scripts have the dashes in their names
> >     replaced with an underscore, but others don't.  Is there some
> >     subtle issue here?  Do we need to use underscores instead of
> >     dashes exclusively (e.g., because XLFD specs disallow dashes in
> >     font specs)?
>
> I don't remember now why I used both "-" and "_" in script
> names.  :-(
> But, we don't have to avoid "-" here because XLFD anyway
> can't contain a script name.

OK, so I guess we can keep using the same names as in characters.el,
and see if something breaks one day.

> >   . setup-default-fontset has a section labeled "for simple scripts".
> >     What is a "simple script" in this context?
>
> Such scripts that don't need CTL (Complex Text Layout)
> processing, and thus don't require OTF fonts.

How does one know whether a given script needs CTL?

The practical issue here is whether scripts added to characters.el
(because the Unicode Standard added them) should also be added to the
list of "simple scripts" in setup-default-fontset.

Thanks.