RE: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:44:43 -0700 (PDT)

> >> The question is the reverse: why should delete-selection-mode
> >> enable transient-mark-mode?
> >
> > Why is that the question, for a proposed change to Emacs?
>
> Because you're advocating for delete-selection-mode to enable
> transient-mark-mode, so it seems quite relevant to ask why you want
> delete-selection-mode to enable transient-mark-mode.

You are the one advocating for a change in the longstanding behavior.

Apparently you can give no reason for it.  (?)

> E.g. give us a concrete situation where that would be useful.

I did, several times now: Be able to see clearly what it is
that you are typing over (replacing or deleting).

That's why this behavior was invented in the first place
(outside Emacs): highlighting the selection and letting you
type to replace what you see highlighted.

Hey, it took what, 20 years or so to get Emacs to turn on
transient-mark-mode by default, so users can see the region
which they act on.  Why is that?

The next step should be to turn on delete-selection-mode by
default, but that will likely take another 20 years or so
(10 have already passed).

Why do you want to go backwards from a useful and user-friendly
behavior that has established itself solidly everywhere over
the last 30 years?  Why take away the visual feedback showing
which text delete-selection-mode will replace by typing?

Go ahead: I've given a reason why users should see the region.
You tell us why they should not, please.