Re: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why was `transient-mark-mode' turned off for `delete-selection-mode'?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 21:00:59 -0400

> You are the one advocating for a change in the longstanding behavior.

No, I did change the code, but that's done.  I didn't advocate for it,
nor do I feel any need to do it.

>> E.g. give us a concrete situation where that would be useful.

> I did, several times now: Be able to see clearly what it is
> that you are typing over (replacing or deleting).

> That's why this behavior was invented in the first place
> (outside Emacs): highlighting the selection and letting you
> type to replace what you see highlighted.

What does this have to do with a concrete situation?
Please: give me a concrete situation, starting from "emacs -Q".
I think if you go through the exercise, you'll understand that your
request is ill-founded.

        Stefan