Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 01:47:19 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > I think with HTML5 you do not need any package any longer. You just
 > write it in HTML5/EcmaScript. (I do these things very often now.)

If you say so, but a quick look at the current W3C recommendation for
HTML5 doesn't reveal anything like standard AJAX events, just the
now-ancient ones like onclick and so on.  I don't think HTML5 has
really changed anything in this respect: if you can do it with HTML5
you can do it with HTML4.

It's possible that adding a few lines of Ecmascript per link would do
the trick, but that sounds ugly to say the least.  And scripts, being
dynamic and possibly interacting with the network, require
error-handling to be robust.

 > On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

 > > If you want to maintain multiple back ends, that could get rather
 > > messy if you need to keep it AJAX-compatible.
 >
 > You can handle that very easily. Just write the normal HTML code

By "multiple backends" I mean media types like PDF and Info, not
different browsers.