Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:55:33 +0000

[…]

 >>> What I see there is not what was described in this discussion.
 >>> There are blocks of text there that are exempt from word wrap,
 >>> that's all.

 >> That’s also all what I’ve initially requested: to be able to mark
 >> portions of text as exempt from word wrap.  (Or, better still, – to
 >> force truncation for such lines.)

 > No, you said:

 IS> There’s an minor issue of how to display word-wrapped lines while
 IS> the window is scrolled horizontally.  Currently, horizontal
 IS> scrolling simply inhibits word-wrap.             ^^^^^^^^^^
 IS> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        I’ve also said in this same discussion (though not, strictly
        speaking, at an ancestor node to this message) [1]:

 IS> The other so far unresolved issue with this approach is that the
 IS> tables and <pre /> elements may actually require truncate-lines.
 IS> Unfortunately, I know of no way to allow for word-wrapped and
 IS> truncated lines to exist in the same buffer; I guess we may need
 IS> either a truncate-lines or word-wrap property (or both) to override
 IS> the buffer-local variables in this case.

        Please consider /that/ a request.  TIA.  And sorry for the
        confusion.

[1] news:address@hidden
    http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19462#10

 > And Firefox does that too: it inhibits word wrap when horizontal
 > scrolling is in effect.  It just doesn't unwrap what was already
 > wrapped, that's all the difference.

        Frankly, I’m not so sure of this interpretation.  Anyway, from
        the user’s perspective, – is there a difference between
        “not unwrapping” and “wrapping at an arbitrary column”?

        Note that there’s the ‘width’ CSS property, – which can easily
        be set on per-paragraph basis, to the possible effect of making
        these paragraphs all wrap at different columns.

[…]

 >> Such display is clearly possible with Firefox, while the Emacs
 >> display engine so far doesn’t support it.

 > Yes, but Emacs has a harder job to do: the above model is problematic
 > with bidirectional text when a single buffer has paragraphs of
 > different directionality (which Firefox doesn't seem to support).

        You mean, your install Firefox install doesn’t cope with, say,
        the simplistic example document shown at [2]?

[2]
https://ru.wikibooks.org/wiki/HTML_в_профилях/Базовый_профиль#multilingual.html

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. The Light (Part II) — Justin Bianco 230E 334A