Re: X selection access in xterm (OSC 52)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: X selection access in xterm (OSC 52)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:52:30 -0400

> If I understand https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=384593,
> this functionality was disabled by default on Debian-based systems for
> security reasons.

Ah, indeed I see in "man xterm" that allowWindowOps defaults to false
and that disallowedWindowOps includes both GetSelection and SetSelection.
If I try

   xterm -xrm '*.allowWindowOps: true'

Then things work.  Yay!

I don't see why SetSelection would be a serious security issue (tho
I guess if a program does the right SetSelection at the right time, you
could end up pasting dangerous commands into a shell).
For GetSelection, the problem can show up if you view "raw data" without
going though a pager, but if your terminal is busy running Emacs you're
safe ;-)

Hmm... these WindowOps really need to be fixed.  E.g. they could require
a secret key (à la xauth), so an attacker wouldn't be able to send the
right command.  But of course, that can't be fixed on Emacs's side.

        Stefan