Re: Per-language project-search-path, was: Re: Unified project interface

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Per-language project-search-path, was: Re: Unified project interface
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 05:43:30 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/31/2015 07:13 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> The elisp project (depending on current Emacs version) will only want to
>> search one of:
>>
>> (lisp)
>> (lisp lisp-emacs-24)
>> (lisp lisp-emacs-23)
>>
>> The Ada project will only want to search the "ada" and "build"
>> directories (for the Makefile and Ada project file).
>
> By the way, do you think project-search-path should have a major-mode
> (or language) argument? Or maybe depend on it implicitly, via the
> current buffer?

My experience is always with a project file; the user explicitly selects
which project file is active. That can be multi-language or
single-language.

So I'm not familiar with the project system trying to guess a project on
the fly, as the current code does.

As you point out, there are use cases for using the major mode to
influence the project, and others for not doing that.

I don't know which would be better as the default; the only general
solution is to require a project file.

> ede-source-paths dispatches on both PROJECT and MODE; to reuse it (in
> the ede project backend), we'd have to produce the mode argument.

Ede also uses the (require 'path/file) style; not surprising, since it
was written by the CEDET team.

I don't see any implementations of ede-source-paths, and only one use of
it, so it's hard to say what the purpose of the mode parameter is.

--
-- Stephe